The year is 1997
- February 22 – In Roslin, Scotland, scientists announce that an adult sheep named Dolly had been successfully cloned, and was born in July 1996.
- February 27 – Divorce becomes legal in the Republic of Ireland.
- March 30 – The Spice Girls launch Britain’s new television channel, Channel 5.
- May 1 – The Labour Party of the United Kingdom returns to power for the first time in 18 years, with Tony Blair becoming Prime Minister, in a landslide majority in the 1997 general election.
- July 1 – The United Kingdom hands sovereignty of Hong Kong to the People’s Republic of China.
- August 31 – Death of Diana, Princess of Wales: Diana, Princess of Wales is taken to a hospital after a car accident shortly after midnight, in the Pont de l’Alma road tunnel in Paris. She is pronounced dead at 4:00 am
- October 16 – The first color photograph appears on the front page of The New York Times.
- @P4MELAR – flockynockynihilipilification
- The longest non-technical word in major dictionaries is floccinaucinihilipilification at 29 letters. Consisting of a series of Latin words meaning “nothing” and defined as “the act of estimating something as worthless”; its usage has been recorded as far back as 1741.
- WereBear – antidisestablishmentarianism
- opposition to the disestablishment of the Church of England.
- is often cited as being one of the longest words in the English language, coming in at a staggering 28 letters. It is often considered a novelty word alongside other really long words, such as floccinaucinihilipilification and supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
Top selling singles
|1||“Candle in the Wind 1997“/”Something About the Way You Look Tonight“||Elton John|
|3||“I’ll Be Missing You“||Puff Daddy & Faith Evans featuring 112|
Top Selling Albums…
|1||Titanic||Paramount / Fox||$1,843,201,268[nb 1]|
|2||The Lost World: Jurassic Park||Universal||$618,638,999|
|3||Men in Black||Sony Pictures / Columbia||$589,390,539|
- February 20 – Ben and Jerry’s introduce “Phish Food”, a new flavor of ice cream named after the rock group Phish. The ingredients are chocolate ice cream, marshmallows, caramel and fish-shaped fudge
- February 28 – Death Row Records co-founder Suge Knight is sentenced to nine years in prison for violating his probation. He would be released in August 2001.
- March 6 – Pablo Picasso’s Tête de Femme is stolen from a London gallery. It is recovered a week later.
- March 9 – The Notorious B.I.G. is murdered in Los Angeles after attending the Soul Train Music Awards. He is gunned down leaving an after party at the Petersen Automotive Museum. His murder remains unsolved.
- March 24 – The 69th Academy Awards, hosted by Billy Crystal, are held at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, with The English Patient winning Best Picture. During the event, the DVD format is launched in the United States.
- January 20 – Blueface, American rapper
- March 27 – Lisa, Thai rapper, singer, dancer, and model
- May 31 – Cupcakke, American rapper
- October 3 – Bang Chan, Korean-Austarlian rapper, singer, and music producer