Wrong Term Memory has joined forces with our local sponsor Pie Sports and will be giving away pie packages to lucky winners over the coming weeks and months (open to UK residents only).
You can also support the guys by buying them a coffee – any contribution is appreciated. We couldn’t do it without your support x.
We are a Quite The Thing Media original podcast.
February 26 – The United Kingdom’s oldest investment banking firm, Barings Bank, collapses after securities broker Nick Leeson loses $1.4 billion by speculating on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
March 25 – Boxer Mike Tyson is released from prison after serving nearly 3 years.
March 31 – American singer Selena is murdered by her fan club president, Yolanda Saldívar.
May 14 – The Dalai Lama proclaims 6-year-old Gedhun Choekyi Nyima as the 11th reincarnation of the Panchen Lama.
August 24 – Microsoft releases Windows 95.
September 19 – The Washington Post and The New York Times publish the Unabomber manifesto
October 17 – French woman Jeanne Calment reaches the confirmed age of 120 years and 238 days, making her the oldest person ever recorded.
December 30 – The lowest ever United Kingdom temperature of −27.2 °C (−17.0 °F) is recorded at Altnaharra in the Scottish Highlands. This equals the record set at Braemar, Aberdeenshire in 1895 and 1982.
Around the middle of the year, the way singles entered the chart started to change. Instead of entering low and climbing up to their peak, singles would now usually enter at their peak, and then fall down the chart.
Biggest Selling Singles…
|1||“Unchained Melody“/”(There’ll Be Bluebirds Over) The White Cliffs of Dover“||Robson & Jerome|
|2||“Gangsta’s Paradise“||Coolio featuring L.V.|
|3||“I Believe“/”Up on the Roof“||Robson & Jerome|
Best Selling Albums…
The 1995 Mercury Music Prize was awarded to Portishead – Dummy.
|1||Die Hard with a Vengeance||Fox||$366,101,666|
|2||Toy Story||Disney||$363,007,140[nb 1]|
Awards (all over the place)…
|Category/Organization||53rd Golden Globe AwardsJanuary 21, 1996||1st Critics’ Choice AwardsJanuary 22, 1996||Producers, Directors, Screen Actors, and Writers Guild Awards||68th Academy AwardsMarch 26, 1996||49th BAFTA AwardsApril 23, 1996|
|Best Film||Sense and Sensibility||Babe||Sense and Sensibility||Apollo 13||Braveheart||Sense and Sensibility|
January 3 – Jisoo, South Korean singer, actress, and model (you’d Jisoo all over her – too much?)
July 4 – Post Malone, American rapper
December 30 – V, South Korean singer (Google searched fucked again)
January 1 – Fred West, English serial killer (b. 1941)
February 22 – Ed Flanders, American actor (b. 1934)
- Snake Derick – Best year of my life. Summer between Primary & Secondary, Rangers the top dogs, we signed Gazza, a whole host of top tunes kicking about… Magic. Would go back in a heartbeat.
- Kev (Plug WAM Cast) – I’m sure steven_harrigan had a gazza haircut
- Snake Derick – My maw wouldn’t let me get one. I did buy the Predators though
- Steven- Had both the Preds and the blonde cut. Didn’t help my play, sadly.
WAM Cast – Probably the worst year in terms of being a WWF fan. It was and still is near unwatchable. Close to going under at points.
Jack – 1995 – the deep fried Mars bar made its first appearance in Scotland.
Bradley Johnson – Oj Simpson not guilty, lol
- OKC bombing
- 168 people, including 8 Federal Marshals and 19 children, are killed at the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building and 680 wounded by a bomb set off by Timothy McVeigh and one of his accomplices, Terry Nichols.
- MJ returns to NBA
- OJ found innocent
- Howard Stern radio show premieres
- Toy Story & Braveheart
- Gangsta’s Paradise & Dear Momma
- WCW Monday Nitro debuts, official start of the Monday night wars.
- Remember some movies from this year! Batman Forever at the cinema being a highlight. Albeit not a great movie now, as a kid McDonalds had a huge promotion on.
- Also, Goldeneye came out. When that came out my gran bought me the VHS as she had just won £32k on the pools….
- Oh and Blur & Oasis had their massive fight for number 1…Country House v Roll with it…
- ..I also finished joint 3rd at a caravan park karaoke contest singing wonderwall. Got robbed of first place by some lassie who bottled singing celine dion and some dancers.